user rating
2.8 / 5
24 votes
Points of Interest

Lake Shawnee Amusement Park (abandoned)

4213 Beckley Road, Princeton, West Virginia 24740 USA 304-921-1580

• Other Amusements
  • Offbeat Attraction
  • Abandoned Place

Tip: review this place & help build a better community!

• Independent
  • Credit Cards not Accepted
  • Not Wheelchair Accessible
  • No Wifi
  • Street Parking
  • Garage Parking
  • Valet Parking
  • RV Parking
  • Restrooms
Rated 4.0 August 25, 2014 Top Review!

An abandoned amusement park built over a haunted Native American burial ground? It doesn't get much scarier than this, folks. Unfortunately, they can be a bit vague on how exactly you can book a private tour, so I went ahead and did some digging.

Turns out the owner just recently passed away, which is why the information has been so hard to find. The family does intend to keep offering up the park for ghost hunters and tours, though, they just haven't made any big announcements about it yet.

Most of the official tours happen around Halloween, but if you're looking for some private access, the current owners just need to be contacted by phone. You can reach them at 304-921-1580, and they'll work out the specifics with you.

Happy hunting!

Lake Shawnee Amusement Park (abandoned)

4213 Beckley Road
Princeton, West Virginia 24740 USA

304-921-1580

You!
Your rating:
Thanks!
August 26, 2014

Are you still offering tours in October this year?

christina.white.75470

christina.white.75470 in reply to on September 24, 2014

I'd like to know as well. We've been planning to visit for a year if it will be.

Renee

Renee in reply to on September 1, 2014

That's what I would like to know !!!! :)

Rated 5.0 August 22, 2014

They are having tours in October and everything is still there.

This place is on private property. Listing for informational purposes only. Please do not visit without express permission from the land owner.

This abandoned amusement park is pretty overgrown these days. It shut down in 1966 and has been derelict ever since. Lake Shawnee was the site of both a Native American burial ground and the massacre of the Clay family.

The Clay family were settlers who were attacked by Native Americans. Two of their children were killed in the attack and the third was burned at the stake.

The land was later bought in the 1920s and developed into an amusement park...how lovely.

Several tragic accidents happened at the park when it was in operation. A little girl died on the mechanical swings, when a truck backed out from a stand and struck and killed her. The second accident was a boy drowned in the lake. After this the park was closed down.

It's believed you can still hear children laughing, and some people claim they see a swing moving all by itself.

This location was featured on the Travel Channel’s Most Terrifying Places in America, the Discovery Channel’s Ghost Lab, and ABC’s Ten Most Haunted Places in the World. Digital cameras and audio recorders are welcome. You must bring a flashlight.

"Lake Shawnee is a closed amusement park with some attractions still visible. It was constructed on the site where some early settlers were killed by Indians. Supposedly, several people died at the park over the years also. Around 2004, a television show filmed an episode of "Scariest Places On Earth" at the site and re-ignited interest. Today, catfish tournaments are held at the site weekly. Otherwise, do not trespass. A monument to the early settlers is visible from the road as are several old rusting amusement rides."

October 27, 2013

I noticed that you stated in your review that there is a monument to the early settlers. What about the NATIVE AMERICANS! This area is THEIR SACRED GROUND and should not have been settled on. Perhaps a memorial to them is in order?

Jerry & Rebecca

Jerry & Rebecca in reply to on December 23, 2014

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but America is one giant Native American burial ground...

bubba485

bubba485 in reply to on September 6, 2014

As a guy whose family has Native American influence, I whole-heartedly agree to this idea.

August 27, 2014

Is this still there? I heard that the rides have been torn down and there is nothing there....can someone verify this for me?

rflanigan2

rflanigan2 in reply to on November 1, 2014

Looking on google earth, it appears that its gone!! Bums me out!!

jesisfantastic

jesisfantastic in reply to on September 3, 2014

I just read an article that they are opening publicly for a week. Google it.

October 24, 2013

I used to live about 3 miles away from this place and my mother remembers going to the park .... people from all over used to come here and have a blast .... i myself did not have the pleasure of enjoying the rides because i was not born yet when the rides closed down but it is a spooky place to visit at night time .... also the Clay family's house still stands right next to the parks location ..... if you have a chance please ask some of the older locals to tell you storys of the place they are the most welcoming people in the world ... know wonder they call call west va. almost heaven because i honestly believe that heaven is filled with people like us!!!

Rated 2.0 October 26, 2014

I went to lake swanee last night. I had been excited about going for the past 3 months I couldn't wait to get pictures of the swings and the ferris wheel and just enjoy walking around taking my time soaking up every pace of history I possibly could. I live a good hour and a half away. And thought it would be well worth the money to take pictures. I'm in love with any thing that has to do with history or horror. But I was absolutely disappointed when I drove that far and paid 20 $ to go in to this place for no longer than 30 min.and couldn't take any pictures of the beautiful history that surrounded me. And this is not to mention the Dark Carnival wasn't at any way scary yes it was funny and the people where very nice.but it's not wroth the drive nor the money.

October 21, 2014

We drove all the way from Louisville, Kentucky (home of the awesome Waverly Hills Sanatorium--come and see us) and were SO disappointed in the Lake Shawnee Dark Carnival.

We weren't allowed to photograph any important parts, like the swings or ferris wheel. And we waited in line in the rain for over 90 minutes to walk through the mud and get only a 20 minute event.

GOOD THINGS:

The staff at the ticket booth was nice.
The barker at the first stop was AWESOME.
The clowns were good.

Can't say much other than that. I understand that this is a new event, but why not allow us to take photographs (I am a professional shooter and would have loved to document it) and also give us more of a historical tour? And how about some REAL scares?

Thanks-
Rosemary
Louisville, Kentucky

September 26, 2014

The Lake Shawnee Dark Carnival will operate every Friday and Saturday, 8pmto 1am, October 3 through November1 2014. This uniquely, eerie tour takes you through this abandoned amusement park and offers a few unsettling surprises along the way.

Don't miss this rare opportunity! For advance tickets, visit www.lakeshawnee.eventbrite.com, and follow us on Facebook by visiting www.LakeShawneeEvents.com.

September 9, 2014

I'd love to check this out. What do I need to do?

September 2, 2014

I left them a message last Friday and then I called a day ago and haven't heard anything back? My friends and I are interested in doing a private tour and I dont know if we need a reservation or not? Would anyone know what else I could do? Any help would be great!! Thank you....

September 2, 2014

Um really wanting to go, do i have buy tickets or what do i do about wanting to go

September 1, 2014

I don't have a rating as of yet , but I would love to go !!!!!

August 29, 2014

I called the number, no one but left a massage as you guys should to, explain our support to keep this place for future to people to visit, we will pay for them to let us come and they can keep it safe and NOT tear it down. ALSO that we can get a proper sign in telling the truth of what has taken place and the community around them will benefit too with people coming from around the world to visit, shit might be a job for us to be the reception center for it year round $$$$$, opportunity comes in all forms and a bit of thought...... everyone keep us posted if they are doing anything, maybe make it gathering for those of us who enjoy these things. Anything is possible

Rated 5.0 August 29, 2014

This looks amazing. Im in Florids
Road.trip sounds Gr8

Rated 2.0 August 28, 2014

Im assuming there is not charge to get in?? Does anyone know??

August 27, 2014

I would like to find out about a private overnight.

August 26, 2014

How much are the tours the week of Halloween and how do we sign up for them?

August 26, 2014

Would love to do this tour in oct!!!

August 24, 2014

Sure would like to work it with a metal detector! Should be plenty of silver there! I never leave a trace of my recoveries!

October 27, 2013

It looks nice and peaceful and I would love to go there. Seriously, I love the view. Hmmm... perhaps in broad daylight.

May 12, 2015

Can anyone just go whenever?

Rated 2.0 January 22, 2015

It is interesting to pass by but I feel like the photos posted are misleading. In person the area is incredibly small and there's not much to it. There's not even a place to pull over and take photos and that's the only reason I really wanted to go. We live pretty close but I wouldn't have even bothered had I known what I know now.

January 19, 2015

So i called and no one answered . I wanted to know if me and a few people could go this weekend i like this type of stuff and i really want to go.

Rated 5.0 December 28, 2014

Make sure you wear boots! It can get muddy.

October 18, 2014

if we arrive between 9 an 10 will we still have time to see everything?

October 6, 2014

As a young teen, we had a blast at Lake Shawnee. You could swim, go dance to great rock n roll music and on the 4th of July, the best fire works I have ever seen.

May 10, 2014

angela.wernerward, those poor Native Americans, waited until all the adult males were gone. They then killed Bartley, who was a teenager, and took Ezekiel, also a teenager hostage. Tabitha, their sister, enraged at what they did to her brother and trying to give time to her younger siblings to get to the house, attacked the Indian with her bare hands. She was killed but the rest of her siblings made it to the safety of the house. The Native Americans then took Ezekiel and the horses that they stole to Ohio, where they burned him at the stake. It took some real big men to kill children and steal horses. Perhaps they do need a memorial.

ladymcquaid

ladymcquaid in reply to on August 26, 2014

The settlers did much worse than that to the Native Americans. They deserved every bit of that.

August 25, 2014

I was born in Princeton WV in 1960, and I remember going to this park and swimming in the lake. I moved away after high school and wondered what had happened to Lake Shawnee. I knew it had closed, of course, but not when or why. I hope to make it back home for the tour Where can I get info about tickets, signing up, etc?

Accommodation Types:

• Shopping
  • Sports
  • Motoring
0 Layers
Trips
Places

DON'T FORGET TO SAVE YOUR TRIP. CLICK HERE.

Share Map